What To Expect
Habitat applications are reviewed for Program Income Guidelines, Need For Housing, and Willingness to partner. Outlined below is the process Habitat uses to review applications:
1. Interested person talks to Habitat volunteer about the program and is sent a questionnaire.
2. Applicant returns questionnaire and credit check and criminal background check is done.
3. Habitat makes decision to whether to invite interested person(s) to an orientation.
4. Interested person(s) attends "Orientation Meeting". Applications are only provided at the Orientation Meeting.
CLICK HERE for more information about the orientation process.
5. Applicant turns in application, along with recent pay stubs and tax returns.
6. Family Selection Committee member will contact the applicant to go over their application and to
confirm "Ability to Pay" information. If there is a problem, applicant will be guided to correct problem areas.
7. If no financial problems exist, the committee will conduct a home visit to confirm the "Need" criteria.
8. If need is determined, applicant is set up to do 15 hours of sweat equity, to begin to look at the
"Willingness to Partner" criteria.
9. After the "Willingness To Partner" criteria is confirmed, the applicant is invited to an interview with the
Family Selection Committee to get to know each other a bit and answer any questions.
10. If the Family Selection Committee decides the applicant looks like a strong candidate for our program,
they will be recommended to the Board of Directors for approval.
11. Applicant is reviewed and accepted into the program and becomes a Partner Family.
12. After Board approval, the applicant needs to continue to work on their sweat equity, earning a minimum
of 15 hours per month to remain a partner family
13. After a minimum of 175 hours of sweat equity is earned, the applicants are qualified to begin
construction on their own home.
14. Home Construction! Construction takes about 4 1/2 months.
15. After earning the remaining sweat equity hours, for a total of 200-400 hours, the applicant then closes on
the house and begins the mortgage payments on their new home and becomes a Habitat Homeowner!